Here are five of my favorite “Early School Year Phrases.” Remember, this is the teacher talking to the students. I recommend saying these the very first day. If you are a little kid teacher I recommend one per day. Enjoy and good luck!
- “I just want to let you know right now.. Some of you this year in this class are going to say and do rude, nasty, inappropriate, mean things this year. I know this because it happens every single year. I hope this year is different, but just in case it is not, I just want to tell you all that I will not always be stopping my lesson to deal with it. It doesn’t mean I didn’t hear it and it doesn’t mean I’m not going to do anything about it. It just means I think teaching is more important in that moment.”
- “There will be times this year in this class that I deliver messages to individual people in a private way. Some of you might wonder what I said. I just want to let you all know right now if and when that happens I will not be sharing the message with everyone else. Some of you might wonder what I said. That’s ok. Trust me I will drop by your desk just as often as your neighbors desk.”
- “Hey everyone great to see you this year. I just want to let you know that I will always do my best to be fair to each and every one of you in this class this year, which means I guarantee you all right now I will not be treating you all exactly the same way. Isn’t that great?”
- “Being fair means that every individual gets what he or she needs to be successful. Being equal means everyone gets exactly the same thing all the time.”
- “I just want to tell you all that there is one thing in this world I hate more than anything else. I mean, I hate this one thing. Do you want to know what I hate? I hate when people waste my time. I don’t feel like I have enough time as it is. You know why that’s great for you? Because I’m going to try real hard this year never to waste yours. You see, a lot of teachers love wasting your time. They’ll give you homework every single night of the week even if they have nothing to give. I will not do that to you. I will never give you homework just so you’re not home playing video games or hanging with your friends. In fact, on average, in this class you will have homework 3-4 nights per week. Understand this, when I give you homework it is important and it needs to get done. You might not like the assignment and you might not understand why I’m giving it. But trust me, it is never to waste your time. And I trust you won’t waste mine either. Isn’t that great?”